Eating out in South Devon
This area is well known for its quality local produce and regional dishes, including fresh, locally-caught seafood, regional wines and ales, and artisan breads, cakes & ice cream.
If you are keen to cook for yourselves, you will find regular farmers markets and small delicatessens selling local produce in many of the small towns and villages, including Kingsbridge.
Please note that it is generally advisable to book, as places do get busy over the weekends and in the school holidays. We would also recommend checking opening hours, as many pubs do not serve food all day.
Some of our local favourites to tempt you!
The Crabshell Inn, Kingsbridge - A great gastro pub. A lovely location on the water's edge and great food, very family friendly. This is also a good place to do crabbing off of the wall, but not their jetty (best at high tide). TAKEAWAY 01548 852345
· The Maha Bharat, Kingsbridge - A great curry and very family friendly TAKEAWAY 01548857072/ 01548856003
TAKEAWAY The Cod Father fish and chips - 01548 853319
TAKEAWAY Cafe Asia Chinese 01548 857888
The Seven Stars, Kingsbridge - Gastro pub near the quay. Nice food, good service, very accommodating for a large group at short notice.
· Mangetout, Kingsbridge- Delicatessen and café. Great breakfasts, lunches and often fish specials, which I would highly recommend. They also welcome dogs in the garden at the rear.
Heron valley - lovely spot for coffee or hot chocolate and a cake.
· Avon Mill Cafe- ( 30 mins walk down valley) in the garden centre near Loddiswell. This is a fabulous cafe in the valley near the River Avon. The food is delicious and the setting peaceful. Great for a spot of shopping too.
· Aune Valley Farm Cafe- near Loddiswell.( 30 mins walk down valley) A cafe with a stunning view across the Avon Valley. The breakfasts are amazing. There is also an excellent farm shop with lots of local produce to enjoy.
· Beach House, South Milton Sands - (10 mins drive) This is a great little shack restaurant with fab food. Booking is recommended if you would like a table inside. There is a National Trust car park which is free for members. Fabulous spot for sundowner overlooking Thurlestone rock.
· The Sloop Inn, Bantham - A nice pub with good food. (10 min drive)
The winking prawn - North sands - casual shack style dining next to beach where kids can crab or swim - can also enjoy Overbecks ( national trust property)
· Further afield;
Brittania @ The Beach, Beesands ( 20 mins drive)- enjoy fantastically fresh local seafood at the rustic shack at Beesands Beach. Or grab a takeaway and sit on the beach watching the waves crashing.
· The Journeys End, Ringmore - great Sunday roast, open all day at the weekend. Booking is essential.
· The Pilchard Inn, on Burgh Island, Bigbury - Nice for a drink or a light snack. You need to check tide times as it’s on Burgh Island, which is cut off at high tide. A tide timetable is available at Lower Coombe Royal for guests.
· The Oyster Shack, near Bigbury - Great for local seafood. If you access via Aveton Gifford, you need to check tide times as it is a tidal road. It can also be accessed via a different route.
The Bull Inn - Totnes. Ethical organic Inn. Great for vegetarians. 25 min drive or beautiful walk along the river from Staverton.
The Green Table, Dartington. Ethical, local, vegetarian. Located in the stunning grounds of the 1200 acre Dartington estate, a stone’s throw from the beautiful Dartington Hall Gardens.
· The Ship Inn, Noss Mayo - A lovely pub in a great setting with delicious food. It is great to combine with a walk along the estuary. Beware the pub car park is tidal!
The Sail Loft, Dartmouth